I found this post that I never put up – back from Christmas! Oopsies…
Every time I make Indian food, I make a batch of this mango chutney. It is such a good standby, especially if you make other Indian dishes. If you like the sweet/spicy flavor combination, you must try this!
It comes together pretty quickly. If you are making other Indian dishes to eat it with, I recommend making this first, as it can sit for awhile and be fine – in fact it is better to let the flavors meld for at least an hour, if not overnight.
slightly adapted from Mangoes and Curry Leaves
1. Heat 1/4 cup oil in a small wide heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds and fry briefly.
3. Add 2 cups chopped peeled green mangoes and cook for several minutes, until starting to soften. [Use mangoes that are very ripe, as in: pretty soft when you press them.] Depending on how soft they are, you might need to smush them with your spoon to help them cook down faster.
4. Add 1 tablespoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is bubbling.
5. Taste and adjust sugar or spices as needed. Add water if it’s not liquidy enough (based on your preferences!).
6. Serve with Indian food!